Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Malwian Business Trip

At least this time I was actually packed and knew that I would be going out of town when I arrived at the office Monday. But I thought I was going to Mangochi and returning Wednesday, but within a few hours, the plan changed to me going to Mangochi and Mzuzu, then just to Mzuzu and returning Thursday. Followed by a trip to the bank to travel my travel allowance cheque, and load the gas card before driving north with one of CADECOM's drivers to Mzuzu.
Having forgotten my Lonely Planet, I had nowhere to stay and no idea where to start looking. After checking out one recommendation from some guy on the street, I texted my roomate Heather, who texted me back with numbers from our trusty Southern Africa guide. I am now in the second cheapest accommodation ever stayed in on business, the Mzoozoozoo - actually a pretty cool backpackery-type lodge. Again, I get a dorm room, but noone else is in it, so not bad at all for 800 KW ($5.92).
I would describe Mzuzu, but other than the tall tall trees and forestry operations I saw on the way up, I arrived at night and have been working today so don't feel like I have the feel of the place yet - will try to blog again when I get home - IF we have internet again - it has broken AGAIN, but Jules is working on it - wish him luck!!!

No comments: