Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Internet

Woo hoo!!! I have access to the internet today!!! For as long as I want! Well, at least until the generator that is supplying power to this internet cafe during this power outage lasts...
I know I have probably complained quite a bit about the lack of internet here - it is frustrating to try an work in an environment with no internet after living in the blackberry world.
At any rate, I have many blogs started in my head, and will do my best to bring you all up to date!

Let's start with my birthday....I have to say, I have a GREAT birthday weekend...despite the fact that we couldn't move into our new house as the repairs were not yet completed. On Saturday night, we went to a crazy ex-pat party...hosted by ex-pats who are simply not living the volunteer life that we are here. As we approached the party, we went past countless white SUVs parked on the road and entered a huge house. The party was great fun though, and we met quite a few people there. On Sunday, our (then soon to be) neighbours, Melissa and Shawn, hosted a welcome barbeque and made me birthday cookies...it was an awesome night of eating and chatting...and the best thing is that our new house is only 6 houses away, so transportation is not an issue. I don't know if I have blogged about the transportation barrier, but basically, there is a pretty good public transport system here in the form of mini-buses, but they only operate until 6pm. So there is no going out at night without a car. We originally thought we might buy a car, but have now examined our finances in more detail, and think we are better off without one (financially). However, that means to go out at night, you depend on taxis. And there is no taxi company here. Basically there are guys that drive you around when you call...and you have to store up a big selection in your phonebook to ensure you can get one that is working, whose car isn't broken that day and who has petrol in the engine. Often you can cycle through 5 numbers and not get someone to pick you up. We have now built up a repository of at least 6, but are still looking for more!!! In addition, as you can imagine, there are no meters, so you are pretty much at the taxi driver's mercy when it comes to negotiating price!
Anyways, as I said, my birthday was well spent, and we had a great weekend. Wednesday was moving day, and we moved in true Malawian style. WUSC staff helped us out and drove me down to get a flatbed truck, then we went to pick up out custom made beds from the vendor we had ordered them from on the side of the road. Then to the guesthouse to pick up all our bags, plus the mattresses we had bought - I truly wish I had had the foresight to leave my camera unpacked so you could see how the truck was loaded. What I thought for sure would take 3 trips took one - bags precariously balanced on mattresses and furniture - we drove behind the truck just to watch if anything might fall off....at one light, the guy got out of the cab, climbed on top of the pile and fixed a bag more securely in place.
Anyways, we are all moved in now, with just the matter of curtains and a few other homey touches to take care of. I am hoping that after this weekend, we feel more settled in.
I bought a manual sewing machine, but it I can't quite operate it yet - fortunately we have someone coming by to look at it this afternoon.
I am embarking on my first business trip this coming week. For all my work collegues, I have to share the travel allowance - $7000MKW ($51/day) - that is supposed to include all meals, AS WELL AS ACCOMODATION. Wish me luck, and think of me as you spend my whole daily allowance just on food at ROMA!
I also bought a bike, though everytime I mention biking or walking to work to my collegues at CADECOM, they recoil in horror and are trying to figure out someone who can pick me up. Though 80% of Malawians can not afford a luxury like a car, I guess the people who can simply don't understand why you would walk anywhere...I guess that isn't all that different than Canada, but there seem to be more of us 'crazy' walkers there.
So now it is the weekend again and we spent most of yesterday out buying stuff for the house (can't believe how many little things you have to buy) and today, I started curtains, only to realize I could not operate the machine, so hopefully I can get to those this evening.
That's all for now - hope to have better access next week, but not sure, since I will be travelling to Chikwawa, the southernmost region of Malawi.
And for the people dying for photos, I ask just a little more patience - it will take so long, I will have to wait until we have access at home - hopefully withing 2 - 4 weeks.
Talk to you soon!

3 comments:

cinnamon gurl said...

So great to hear from you again. And I am super pleased that you will have internet access at home soonish... I was beginning to worry the whole year might go like this... a few handfuls of photos every couple of months. All the best on your business trip!

Anonymous said...

I'll e-mail you a couple of numbers for taxi drivers who I trust 100%. My first taxi driver in Malawi became my interpreter for many weeks!

Janna said...

Thanks for the taxi numbers Jessica!
I will add them to my phone book for sure.