Monday, May 19, 2008

Emergency Flood Response

This afternoon (if a vehicle is ever ready for us), I am heading up to Mzuzu with a few other colleagues from the Flood Response Project Management Team of which I am a part.
Flooding affected varius districts in Malawi in January and February of this year due to unusually heavy rain fall.
Unfortunately, this disaster has taken some time to respond to - to the point where this week will be the first food distribution to the flood victims from my organization.
Though I am sure that the food and non-food items that will be distributed through the program may have been more effective had we been able to respond more quickly, the items are still needed and will definately still be appreciated by the beneficiaries, so I am excited to see the program roll out.
Since we don't have much equipment to capture these events, I am using my camera to assist my organization in making a photographic record of the launch of the program - I hope to share some here at some point as well!
You can read more about the flood program, funded by Caritas Australia and CRS here:
http://www.caritas.org.au/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Search&template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3744
(though note that I am not sure how the mis-information was recorded but there are only 1000 beneficiaries)

No comments: