Friday, January 4, 2008

Chicken...

OK, I am clearly not the experienced world-savvy adventurer I thought I was. I found out our flight information yesterday and we are being routed through Nairobi - with a 12 hour overnight layover. Due to the current political situation there, I am more than a little freaked out.When I expressed concerns, I got a blasé 'it will be fine' response from the organizers....wish I could be more blasé about it myself, but I must admit to being concerned...

At any rate, I asked if they could possibly re-route us, but it turns out they can't, so I am putting my faith in the very reputable airline (KLM), and assuming they wouldn't put us in danger!!! I also had a reassuring email from a friend in Nairobi who offered to take us around the city during our layover (I believe I will pass, but since she offered maybe the violence is localized?). At any rate - not for personal reasons, if you want to do something about the situation, there is a petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/kenya08/

Nayways, I am hoping the situation there improves for the sake of the people who are affected directly by the situation.

No comments: