Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Confessions of 'stuff'

As I sit here, completing my annual holiday tradition of sucking back some wine and watching Bridget Jones' Diary, I am contemplating 'stuff'. To provide some background, I should let you know that our Malawi journey really started with the epihany I experienced when in Paris in May 2006. We travelled there due to a fortunate larger than expected tax return, and it just felt so right...I decided then and there that we needed to make some changes to travel more and provide more experiences for Regan. The first step was completing my degree (I had been pursuing it part time for over a decade) - by shortening to a three year degree, I was able to finish that very summer. Then came the selling of our beloved (but very work-heavy) 97 year old home, and the purchase of a lower maintenance condo (and we even managed to find one in a historical building!). Thanks to the clean up needed to sell our home, we ended up giving away approximately 75% of our 'stuff'. We decided to take an aggressive approach to not purchasing so much 'stuff' (this has been met with some sucess, though not a complete triumph, in the furnishing department). Despite my new eschewing of 'stuff' and the drastic decision to move our whole family to Malawi, I must admit to giving in to a bit of a 'stuff' craving today in our luggage purchase. After a well intentioned Sorry - Bridget is attending the 'smug married couples' dinner - really one of my fave scenes.... At any rate, after a well intentioned visit to purchase used luggage at Value Village, we visitied Zellers to compare (Value village did have one sad little suitcase).

At any rate, I can guarantee that these really did offer the maximum size luggage in the store for a very reasonable price.....right????

Oh...now for my absolute favorite line....'nice boys don't kiss like that' 'oh yes, we ^%$&^%do' (true).
OK - I put this line in anticipating my favorite line....and it didn't come!!! Censored for TV? Seriously???

1 comment:

cinnamon gurl said...

I have been succumbing to the itch for stuff myself... what the hell - it's probably your last chance.